Farlows Black Friday Fishing Tackle Sale Click Here

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Learning Fly Casting - Quick Question

Hello, I'm currently learning about Fly Casting and have a quick question.

Does casting for different distances affect the technique?

From what i've learnt i dont think it should, but i would like to be corrected if i'm wrong.

Thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Re: Learning Fly Casting - Quick Question

Michaelmac - First, I'm sorry if your question has remained unanswered for too long.
    But I believe you are right - casting for different distances should not, per se, affect your technique.
    Casting different directions, or on the right or left bank of a river, or in different wind directions, then yes all of these might affect your technique (namely the actual cast you use: single or double spey, Circle cast, overhead etc).
    I hope this helps and keep posting on the forum and feeding back to FishandFly!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hey Michealmac, I would agree with Henry_giles just to emphasize. Casting for different distances should not affect the technique. You should however, instead worry about using a suitable rod and reel. The technique is thesame, just make sure that the rod is of a suitable size.

A good way to learn fishing techniques is to go on tours with the pros at Fishing Lodges in Alaska

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Michael

Casting longer or shorter lines only requires a couple of basic adaptations to your stroke.

1. The longer the head of the line you intend to cast, the longer your stroke should be.

2. The harder you stop the rod on the forward delivery, the faster the tip will flip over and the further the entire line will cast.

I hope that helps.

Tom