Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Does fly line colour matter?

Does anyone think fly line colour matters?

At RIO we have traditionally made brighter colour spey and salmon lines, but is this right? Is anyone put off buying a fly line because of its colour?

I ask because we make our floating Scandinavian head, the AFS, in two colours, one with a muted olive front end, and the other a bright orange. Of the two, the muted one sells about twice as many as the orange one.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks
    Simon

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hi Simon,
    I'm not a big fan of oranges and reds for fly lines, but I would buy them if I did not have a choice in color. I think this is so because I have always had yellow or greenish colored fly lines. The other colors were either sink tip or full sinking lines.

MP

ACW
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I like matt finish muted colour lines ,if I can get them in the profiles I want .
    For floating line the trout fisher in me comes out and tend to fish long leaders ,so colour is not a big deal,bar line flash,if all equal the old aircel mahogany brown would be #1 colour!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I think that in some situations, especially where the water's surface is broken or ripply, it probably doesn't matter all that much. However, it seems to me pretty unarguable that there is almost never anything to be lost by using a dull coloured line, and there are places, particularly those with flat gliding water, where it may be a real benefit. I would always choose a dull coloured line in preference to a bright one. The only benefit I can see of a bright line is visibility on the water, but I'm not sure a fluorescent yellow is really that much more visible than, say, the old buckskin colour that 3M used to do and which I thought was a good compromise colour.

It's worth reading what Robert Pashley had to say about the importance of a stealthy approach, and how often this is overlooked by salmon fishers. You will find plenty of trout fishers who argue passionately for dull lines - I believe they are regarded as almost de rigeur in NZ, for example, and also remember seeing a report of a national team (I think possibly Spain?) in some river competition a few years ago where their success was attributed to the dull lines they used. Yet, as Pashley says, people who would spend much time and energy stalking a trout will abandon all effort at subtlety when it comes to salmon fishing - and it's hard to argue with a man who was as phenomenally successful as him!

Much of the Middle and Lower Wye, the river Pashley fished, is characterised by flat water, and I have in fact dyed a line dark green for use in such conditions. On very glassy pools a dark floater shows up perfectly well - and in some light conditions it will be more visible than a pale line, too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Intersting thoughts, thanks a lot...

We made our AFS Scandinavian head a camo olive colour (though with a pale yellow rear section so you can see the line as it swings and know where it is to mend it). I have to say, though, that it is difficult to see in lowish light conditions and when trying to view it against a dark bank of trees. I find it hard to be able to time a cast perfectly without seeing the line tip anchour on the water - especially on a single spey. It's why we started to make them in orange as well.

Thanks for your thoughts...
    Simon

ACW
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Simon , the black and mahogany coloured lines popular with some in the 80s are
    suprisingly visible in some lights
    For my Cove style nymphing I alternate with a dark brown and hiviz orange these days,eyesight not as good as it was ,will sometimes use an indicator!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thanks for your feedback, ACW.. much appreciated.

All the best
    Simon

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Gawesworth View Post

Does anyone think fly line colour matters?

Simon
    Simon, I've always found pale blue lines are much superior than the yellow ones.

Malcolm

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Ha ha... droll as ever.. thank you Malcolm!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Line color.

I have never thought line color made the slightest bit of difference. As long as the fish don't see what's attaching the fly to that line I don't think it matters. I like lines I can see. Helps me with mending, etc. in low light. I have a Canadian friend who took a magic marker and colored his entire fly line black. He's convinced bright colors scare fish. I don't believe it's true. The length we use in leaders with spey rods, I believe anyway, make it even less likely color will bother a fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast