Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Smile What style of Spey line do you prefer???

Hey folks, Simon Gawesworth from RIO here with a quick question for you.

At RIO we have all manner of spey line designs - probably far too many for most people to comprehend, but they all seem to have a following and fans and we sell all the styles we have. Location and species seem to be the biggest factor in fly line choice, but I'd like to know what style of line do you like or use?

1) Long belly spey lines?

2) Double Tapers?

3) Short Belly Lines (like the WindCutter, with heads of 50 to 60 ft)?

4) Scandinavian style shooting heads?

5) Skagit lines?

I'd be interested to know where you fish and what species you target with your line style of choice.

Thanks
    Simon

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Gawesworth View Post
    Hey folks, Simon Gawesworth from RIO here with a quick question for you.

At RIO we have all manner of spey line designs - probably far too many for most people to comprehend, but they all seem to have a following and fans and we sell all the styles we have. Location and species seem to be the biggest factor in fly line choice, but I'd like to know what style of line do you like or use?

1) Long belly spey lines?

2) Double Tapers?

3) Short Belly Lines (like the WindCutter, with heads of 50 to 60 ft)?

4) Scandinavian style shooting heads?

5) Skagit lines?

I'd be interested to know where you fish and what species you target with your line style of choice.

Thanks
    Simon
    Hi Simon
    You seem you have missed out mid-bellied lines, which is my preference. The Carron lines seem to fit the bill to a tea. Not the 105 or 95 which is just too long for fishing with but fine for the young lads to play with on the platforms.

ACW
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    3 and 5 I dont use,fish Spey,Dee ,Deveron,Severn and Wye,
    Like my Carrons,Snowbee 2ds,SA DTsfrom a decade or more ago,and more recently Vision ace heads.

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hi Simon,

For floating line 50ft is the longest I ever use, though I often add a 10ft sinking polyleader. So 60ft!

For sinking line work I use 35 to 40ft with 10ft polyleader.

All the best,

Colin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I like the Windcutter Multi-Tip, especially with the density compensator (can't quite understand why it was taken out with the newer batch of lines produced), and fish this and lines that have a 65ft head i.e. Snowbee 2D.

I've never used 4 or 5, and wouldn't want to use 2 as I wouldn't know where the loading point was.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Primarily 1 - Long belly lines. Specifically Carron 75' in floating and intermediate versions. Occasionally a Wulff TT (70').

Also use 4 - Shooting Heads, but only for stripping collie-type flies as a change tactic. I like to keep things simple and find all the running line a bore.

Fishing is principally on the Spey and Beauly.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    1. Regular floating-line/sink tip fishing medium-sized rivers (mostly Dee) where pools have multiple lies and consistent water coverage and good presentation are important.
    2. I still have some and sometimes use them in low water conditions when distance is not at a premium.
    3. Usually have one rod set up with a short-head multi-tip (Loop Quattro) for alternative tactics, including stripping collies.
    4. In extremis (deep, far or howling gale)
    5. No

Species targeted: atlantic salmon

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Spey Lines

Simon,

For the latter part of this past season here on the Spey at Grantown I have used the Carron floating line, 75ft head, rated 10/11, with no sinking tip added, on a 14ft Norway Speycaster, rated #9, and found the combination very efficient. I have also found this line a good match for rods of fifteen and sixteen feet (although, for maximum distance, I think the sixteen footer, a Norway Speycaster 9/10, would be better matched to the Carron 85ft head). I have used other lines with shorter heads to good effect, e.g. the Ian Gordon 10/11 65ft head floater and intermediate, but the pairing of the 14 ft Speycaster and 75 ft Carron would be hard to beat for floating line fishing. For use with sinking tips of ten to fifteen feet in length, I like the fifty five foot head Delta Spey line, matched to rods of fourteen or fifteen feet.

In summary, for fishing on rivers of the size of the middle Spey, I would be looking for a total head length, including sinking tip where required, of around 70 to 75 feet. I should add that I am a relative novice in the art of Spey casting and, where possible, would normally employ a single Spey cast.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    The river I fish 90% of the time is small and can mostly be tackled using a single handed rod. In higher water a double hander is an advantage and I prefer to use a double taper line with it as distance is not an essential requirement.

RPS
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    .................................................. ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast