Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The best five salmon flies ever!!

Re: Top 5 Salmon Flies
    Here's a post from our sister site Flyforums. It was my answer to a question posed by member Brannan who wanted to know what we'd recommend as our top 5 salmon flies. My answer gives a few more than five but it would be great to know what Fish and Fly members thought about this choice..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brannan - it's interesting that none of our members have asked you which river (s) you are intending to fish yet. But in a way it speaks volumes that they (a proper expert bunch of salmon-fishers of course!!!! ) haven't. We are all fishing for the one species - Atlantic salmon, and if you have these in your fly box (one in half or one-inch brass tube and one in a dressed fly version tied on, say a size 7 Salar for summer work or as small as 12 or 14 treble in low water) you won't go too far wrong:

Orange flies:
    (Duncan Egan's) Flamethrower, Ally's Shrimp, Cascade, Mediator, (Ross Macdonald's) Park Shrimp

Black and yellow flies (used in its broadest term):
    Monkey, Black and yellow, Tosh, Posh Tosh

Dark flies with flash:
    Phatagorva or similar dark coloured Templedog (or Hakan Norling's original Templedog come to that, a lovely fly), Silver Stoat, Stoats Tail, (Sandy Leventon's) Editor (good for fresh fish)

Red-dish coloured flies (good for the back-end):
    Red Ally's, Red Frances (can make the fish go just bananas, they can behave like it's a real shrimp - but although they may disturb every salmon in the pool, one of them may well take it!)
    Ross Macdonald's Calvin's Shrimp

Ones to try:
    (Brooks') Sunray Shadow or similar 2-3inch winged fly
    Red Frances (again! always worth a try if nowt else is working)

I know, that's more than 5! So where are you fishing (and what time of year?)
    Last edited by henry_giles; 04-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by henry_giles View Post
    Re: Top 5 Salmon Flies
    Here's a post from our sister site Flyforums. It was my answer to a question posed by member Brannan who wanted to know what we'd recommend as our top 5 salmon flies. My answer gives a few more than five but it would be great to know what Fish and Fly members thought about this choice..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brannan - it's interesting that none of our members have asked you which river (s) you are intending to fish yet. But in a way it speaks volumes that they (a proper expert bunch of salmon-fishers of course!!!! ) haven't. We are all fishing for the one species - Atlantic salmon, and if you have these in your fly box (one in half or one-inch brass tube and one in a dressed fly version tied on, say a size 7 Salar for summer work or as small as 12 or 14 treble in low water) you won't go too far wrong:

Orange flies:
    (Duncan Egan's) Flamethrower, Ally's Shrimp, Cascade, Mediator, (Ross Macdonald's) Park Shrimp

Black and yellow flies (used in its broadest term):
    Monkey, Black and yellow, Tosh, Posh Tosh

Dark flies with flash:
    Phatagorva or similar dark coloured Templedog (or Hakan Norling's original Templedog come to that, a lovely fly), Silver Stoat, Stoats Tail, (Sandy Leventon's) Editor (good for fresh fish)

Red-dish coloured flies (good for the back-end):
    Red Ally's, Red Francis (can make the fish go just bananas, they can behave like it's a real shrimp - but although they may disturb every salmon in the pool, one of them may well take it!)
    Ross Macdonald's Calvin's Shrimp

Ones to try:
    (Brooks') Sunray Shadow or similar 2-3inch winged fly
    Red Francis (again! always worth a try if nowt else is working)

I know, that's more than 5! So where are you fishing (and what time of year?)
    The spelling is Frances, how many times must I correct people?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!