Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Cormorants in Germany

Like in most european countries the over population of cormorants has become a severe threat to the stocks of fish. Grayling have become extinct in many places and salmon re-stocking programs suffer. So called nature union NABU opened the war against anglers by electing the cormorant to the "bird of the year". This title is usually given to an endangered species. What a joke! Last weekend NABU hosted a symposium on protection measurements of this pest and anglers and professional net fishermen from all over Germany, but also France, Austria and Switzerland met in front of NABUs meeting place. In all 4000 people joined and the public was informed trough TV and radio reports. In all I think it was rather helpful but considering that there are about 3 million anglers those demonstrating was only a fraction of those that could have come. Those "nature lovers" are much better organised than we are, aren't they.
    There is a proposal that it shall become legal to shoot cormorants during the winter months except in a number of protected areas. Hopefully the politics will listen to what we have said to them last weekend and will sign the legislation!
    Here are some pictures:

Petri and tight lines

Peter
    (thanks to Hartmut)

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Very interesting Peter - thanks for sharing.

Cormorants are a huge problem over here - look at this post in our sister forum made today.

Also my local water the river Wear, Durham City, England is plagued with them living on the fish pass!

Regards

Colin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    This was on our little trout stream in January:

Petri and tight lines

Peter

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    What an amazing photograph. I would not like to be a fish in your stream!

Colin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hi Peter,
    a bit late but new on the forum. This problem with the cormorants won't go away if we don't get organised. As you say the nature lovers (aren't we all?) are better prepared. Being partially involved in the provincial trout farm of Luxembourg (Belgium) i can tell you that here fish farmers have obtained a permission to shoot a quota of cormorants each year. I know as well that not all farmers use up this quota. I don't know how the situation is in Germany and other EU countries, but i've got an idea...if we can mobilise the fish farmers,the anglers and...the hunters!! we can get quite far : the farmers give their quota to the hunters (for free, they will be pleased to get rid of the birds, and the hunters will be pleased with free shooting) and they give the birds to the anglers (for free again) because cormorant feathers (at least some) make excellent wet flies for trout and salmon. Everybody happy and a number of birds less on your and our rivers!

Best regards

Johan