Farlows Black Friday Fishing Tackle Sale Click Here

haraldoyen

The Namsen River with a mighty 21.0 kilos (46 lb) salmon on opening day 1 June.

Who is down-beat about salmon fishing in Norway? Not these two ladies. The Namsen River, for generations named 'The queen of Rivers', has done it again. A mighty 21.0 kilos (46.0 lb) salmon was brought to the riverbank on the opening day of the season by another lady, veteran angler Aase Haugen Waldal - reports the regional newspaper, 'Trønder-Avisa', today. It took more than an hour for Aase to land the BIG fish at the 'Ytre Vibstad' beat around 07.00 Tuesday morning 1 June.

Åse Haugen Waldal from Femunden, Hedmark County, caught this 21.0 kilos (46.0 lb) salmon
    at Ytre Vibstad beat around 07.00 Tuesday 1 June. Photo: Terje Solberg

The girls catch all the big ones! Here's another from Namsen's tributary the Bjora caught last week.

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Salmon averaging 24.6lb so far!

Here are the weights of salmon that have been caught so far today (opening day - June 1, 2010) on the Namsen in Norway. Superb quaility and size. They average just under 25lb.

Numbers aren't high but quality certainly is!

Colin.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I wonder how many went back. I would guess less than 5%. the one pictured above looks dead to me.

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by williegunn View Post
    I wonder how many went back. I would guess less than 5%. the one pictured above looks dead to me.
    You are almost certainly correct!

There is a slow change in attitudes toward catch & release but a quicker acceptance by the younger generation over there. Nevertheless some wonderful fish being lost to the gene pool. Let's hope they can sustain the losses. Many other rivers in Norway have not been able to do so and have closed. Netting is considerable too.

If only exploitation levels were reduced and fish farms better regulated - what a place Norway would be for salmon! If only .....

Still, despite poor management what great fish they still have on some of their rivers.

Colin