Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

New river levels website from the Environment Agency

A new service that allows householders and businesses to monitor rising river levels during a potential flood was launched today by the Environment Agency.

More and more homes and businesses have their own property-level flood defences and the new service will help those to make decisions on when to install flood boards and gates.

In the current hot weather it will also show low river levels, encouraging people to use this precious resource wisely.

The service at Environment Agency - River and sea levels enables the public to monitor river and sea levels at over 1,700 locations across England and Wales. The data will complement personalised phone and text message alerts from the organisation’s free flood warning service.

Over five million people in England and Wales are at risk from flooding from rivers and the sea. Those in flood risk areas should sign up to the Environment Agency’s free flood warning system – the most immediate and localised source of information on flooding – by calling 0845 988 1188 or visiting Environment Agency - Flood.

The Environment Agency is also encouraging recreational river users, especially boaters and anglers, to check river levels before they set off. Beachgoers will also be able to access up-to-date information on sea levels.

Craig Woolhouse, the Environment Agency’s Head of Flood Incident Management, said:

“Our new service is there to help people, communities and businesses make informed decisions about how to respond to potential flooding. It will also be a valuable source of up to date information for boaters, surfers and other water users.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post

Craig Woolhouse, the Environment Agency’s Head of Flood Incident Management, said:

“Our new service is there to help people, communities and businesses make informed decisions about how to respond to potential flooding. It will also be a valuable source of up to date information for boaters, surfers and other water users.

I note anglers come fairly well down the Environment Agency's list, sort of bundled in with "other water users", does not boade well for fishery management.

ACW
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Not the most user friendly site I have found, the maps look like antiques,and for those who only got a C in geography O levels like me the search is awkward.
    For the Wye and Severn levels I will be using the far more friendly fish wales site ,same info but easier to use!

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    O levels - I remember them. They were hard -- not like these simple GCSEs (well that what I tell my boys anyway!)

The maps are clunky but I like the info at the end.

I'll compile an easier to use list!

Here is the Wye:
    http://www.salmonatlas.com/forums/ri...er-levels.html

Here is the Severn:
    http://www.salmonatlas.com/forums/ri...er-levels.html

Colin.

ACW
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Still prefer the fish wales site it has the previous 7 days levels as well as the last 24 hours ,this helps me get a feel of the way the river levels are going, combined with several weather forecasts I some times get things right !
    We are heading in the right direction though ,shame there is so little input .