Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Norway's Catch & Release Ratings - a change in attitude needed!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    It never ceases to amaze me that Norwegian anglers (or is it visiting anglers?) continue to keep adult fish - even when they see a river in terminal decline.

Adult salmon are precious. They have survived everything nature and man have thrown at them. When numbers are declining their survival to spawn is critical.

So I have to ask why on the Numedal which has seen a dramatic reduction is catches over the last decade (see below) are they still killing virtually every fish they catch (6% C&R). What madness is this?!

Over the last 11 years anglers have removed from the Numedal river more than 37,000 salmon and by so doing denied the system over 75 million salmon eggs. Of course other factors are affecting the salmon populations but we have to ask? "Are anglers putting the final nail in the salmon coffin?"

At the current rate salmon will be extinct on this wonderful river in a few years time.

SM

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Let me just also illustrate the difference between a well managed river system (River Dee, Aberdeenshire, Scotland) operating 100% catch & release (introduced because of a steady decline in catches of a similar magnitude as that of the Numedal) and the Numedal.

I advise those people who look after the salmon/fishing interests on the Numedal to get over to visit the Dee and its river board as fast as they can!

It is not too late! (yet)