Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Norwegian Fish Farms escapees destroying pure wild salmon populations in NINA report

A recent report from the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA - Norway’s leading institution for applied ecological research) has called for sterlisation of all farmed salmon to stop inter-breeding of wild salmon and wild salmon. Their research shows that farmed salmon have a negative impact on pure wild salmon by inter-breeding and they predict that this impact will spread very quickly unless something is done about it. (see their chart below).

Already some rivers are now devoid of any salmon at all and others have fewer than 25% wild salmon.

Map of Norway showing the spawning population of salmon in Norway after spawning in 2009 and projections based on report findings. The color scale
    indicates % share estimated spawning fish with wild salmon background.

“If intrusions of farmed salmon in the rivers do not stop, the wild salmon’s end is nigh”, says research director Kjetil Hindar of NINA

More (translated - no images of charts)

More in Norwegian with charts

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Exclamation Scary!

Wow, this is mind-boggling!! I tried to read the whole report (at least the part in English ) and something puzzles me. As far as i can understand these scientists simply measure the decline in wild salmon stocks compared to the prevailing percentage of escaped farmed salmon in test areas, but nowhere i found them stating the actual REASON for the decline (loss in quantity of eggs due to interbreeding, increase in mortality of fry, transferring of genetic defaults or whatever). Nevertheless, they seem to be saying that it's not only gyrodactylus we have to worry about. As with many problems caused directly or indirectly by mankind the future will probably reveal that a bundle of factors is destroying our salmon stocks. What troubles me the most is that in view of this report the same could be happening in Scotland and Ireland, as i believe there are salmon farms there too...or am i mistaken? Reading the discussions on the decline in salmon catches on the isles (some rivers like the Dee and the Tweed excluded), this raises the hair on my arms!

Worried stiff but willing to fight back,

Johan