Thread: Advice needed

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Advice needed

Can anyone please advice me on what rainbow trout flies to use as never fished in uk lakes before? Thanks in advance.

cb
    Administrator
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

Re: Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by blew View Post
    Can anyone please advice me on what rainbow trout flies to use as never fished in uk lakes before? Thanks in advance.
    Pheeww - that's a tough one! So much "depends" - which is what make the sport so interesting of course. My advice is to fish somewhere with a shop onsite and ask what you should buy/use. They will know what the 'hot' flies are on the day. I Would not be without a Black and Peacock Spider though and a white fritz!

Good luck!

Colin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Blew - I agree with Colin B on the Black and Peacock Spider. I used to do well on that throughout the season at Ladybower Reservoir in Derbyshire.
    You can't go far wrong with a black (and green) lure. Or Buzzers fished off a floating line and long leader. Diawl Bach is a good fly (another buzzer immitation). Or the good ol' Pheasant tail Nymph will suggest a lot of small food items.
    Finally, around this time of year the big rainbows will start feeding on coarse fish fry and a big white lure like a Zonker will catch fish - or a floating fry pattern just cast out and left like a giant dry fly in an area where you have seen trout feeding on fry can give very exciting fishing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Daniel Bach is a great fly to use for rainbows.Two of these on a 15ft leader 6ft between droppers on a floating line fishing off the bank is a great general method.make sure to ask the fishery manager where local anglers have been catching.Fish location is very important.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Just coming across this now. I agree with Colin B as well.
    Lauren @ FLY FISHING FLIES / $0.37 Fishing Flies / Discount Trout Flies