Thread: Answer this!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Answer this!!!

OK,on another thread Diver Dan says we should be posting more questions/replies/conundrums etc etc etc.And I agree
    This forum has wide ranging and (maybe too?)diverse sections/subsections.

Lets kick off with a question that anyone,from Newcastle to Newfoundland,can or indeed MUST have an opinion upon....

Now.. Whats Your Favourite Fly and Why?Fast water/slow water/deep/shallow/coloured water/falling after a spate/whatever????

I'll stick my neck out here and firmly nail my colours to the mast

Cascade........Or a Willie Gunn!
    Or....a Dee Monkey.Or a Garry Dog

Erm,quite keen on the old Ice Maiden aswell

C'mon boys,whats yer faves??
    Cheers

Tone

ACW
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Has to be the silk cut shrimp ,its 99% of the time on my tippet when fishing hooks rather than tubes ,and is also on a few tubes as well .
    Theres 4 sitting in front of me waiting on their final coat of Sally Hansen before they go to exotic St Albans !
    I have them from tiny up too size 4 any bigger its tube time and I dont have go too pattern for those,though looking through my records the graeser style tadpole is probably the most sucsessful !

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    If I had to carry only one fly (which I know wasn't really the question) it would be the Willie Gunn in various mixes and sizes - some dark, some more orangey some more yellow. Virtually every Atlantic salmon situation could be covered by this all time great. Of course this isn't really one fly -- but many variants. But there again Trout & Salmon publicise a new fly virtually every month which seems to be simply a clear variant of a classic!

On the Tyne I almost always fish deeper and bigger than I do elsewhere.

Colin.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    allies shrimps red/orange tried and trusted eveywhere, PBP, on brass bottle tubes when theres a bit of water in. or tied larger flamethrower stlye in the spring and backend.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    For atlantics i would have to go with my smelt pattern 4-8" long with a stinger hook when tied big as in the picture (8" long roughly)
    [IMG][/IMG]

For Steelhead i would have to go to either a spider spey on a tube or salmon hook size 2-8 depending on water heights big water big fly
    [QUOTE][IMG]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Those spider speys would work a treat for the Brownies is sizes 12/16

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Those spider speys would work a treat for the Brownies is sizes 12/16
    If the brownies are of any size 8s would be just perfect actualy i have another fly that is deadly on browns and its size 8 or 10 ill try and get a picture up of it now wheres my camera

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Heres the picture of the fly for browns its also a great fly for any trout

For the wing if you want a good varient instead of lemon woodduck use white calf tail