Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wjpeake88

Thread: Hill Lochs in Scotland, help needed with a destination please!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hill Lochs in Scotland, help needed with a destination please!

Hi all, my buddy and I have a week pass for 2013 and fancy a trip to Scotland. Ideally we are looking for a group of hill lochs to explore, preferably a small cottage or similar that we can rent and with a pub close enough to walk to at the end of the day. We don't mind a good walk and a bit of adventure, and we are looking for somewhere a bit wild. Any recommendations at all please guys and girls?

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Re: Hill Lochs in Scotland, help needed with a destination please!

Having holidayed in the Western Highlands since I was very young I can absolutely recommend the Wester Ross area around Poolewe and Gairloch. I stay with relatives but I'm sure a quick Google search will find you a place to stay - I just found this one in case it helps - Holiday Cottages in Poolewe, Gairloch, and throughout Wester Ross

Check in at the local post office/general store in Poolewe where you can join the local fishing club for a week and get access to some beautiful little lochs or also go to the one on Gairloch Pier which has a different range of lochs available to hike or walk to, some with boats and some without but all with beautiful wild brownies and couple with a chance of a sea trout if there's been rain.

Hope that helps for one suggestion. Might even see you up there next summer as I hope to go up again for a week or two.

Isle of Lewis during the summer / New Zealand during the Winter
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The Outer Hebridies are a great place to explore, Lewis and Harris offer salmon sea trout and plenty of brownies to be had in season. Uist is more renowned for its larger brown trout. I spend my summers there and can fish for a different species everyday, also great sport is pollock on the fly and can be caught from most rocks!
    Editor likes this.

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

That is an area I would love to explore sometime - a couple of weeks and a camper van would do me fine.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi you could try Newtonmore , i go every year ,, the permit covers
    top end River Spey , Loch Laggan, Spey dam, and more just search
    Badenoch angling assoc .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi. I would recommend Drumbeg. It's just north of Lochinver. I went last summer. There is so much water! Split into areas assynt crofters association do week permits for their waters (hundreds of lochs) full of the most fantastic brownies. Boats available at some lochs. Also Lochinver estates offer their lochs and salmon and sea trout at a price. Great tackle shop in Lochinver. Also if you are into it the sea fishing is superb too.
    Lots of places to stay in and around Lochinver great pubs and music scene also.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

HI.
    Do you know if they allow any hunting in the area as well?

Yoav Messa

Truly what you want
    Google

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hello folks! I would recommend glendevon central Scotland! Plenty lochs full off fish and great scenery! Well worth a try!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hello,I would agree with glendevon central Scotland.
    Lauren @flydealflies.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wjpeake88 View Post
    The Outer Hebridies are a great place to explore, Lewis and Harris offer salmon sea trout and plenty of brownies to be had in season. Uist is more renowned for its larger brown trout. I spend my summers there and can fish for a different species everyday, also great sport is pollock on the fly and can be caught from most rocks!
    I would have to agree,the isle of lewis is probably the best place in scotland to fish,if you head to carloway and get a cottage there you are spoiled rotten for lochs and rivers in walking distance of this place,you get an amazing adventure there and there is a local pub/hotel called the doune braes hotel and the food and drink is amazing,the hotel has a small lochan outside thats well stocked with trout,a good place to practice with your set up.

This is where you will get once in a lifetime game fishing,brownies,rainbows and salmon.

Im going there in november and i hope to get a bit of fishing in,if you ever go there it wont be the last.

Permits are easy to get,but its that remote you probably wont get hassled.