My father and I normally do a week on the Upper Tweed around this time of year, which we foolishly elected not to do this year. However, as autumn draws in I find myself with a burning hunger for some salmon fishing. We've decided to have a weekend on the 17th and 18th October, and as we've only got a short time I'm unable to convince the old man of the merits of going all the way to the Tyne, and in Scotland we'd only get 1 day of fishing. I'm therefore exploring all the options within a few hours of Wiltshire.Most of the reachable quality fishing across the South West and Wales unfortunately finishes on or before that weekend. I’m aware that there are options on the Camel and Fowey in Cornwall and nearer in Devon on the Plym and the Yealm. I’ve found day ticket fishing available on the Plym and am seriously thinking about heading there. Does anyone have any experience of fishing the Plym? The presence of salmon will obviously be water dependent wherever we go, but even with the right water, would we be better off trekking further on to the Fowey or the Camel, which I know do have reasonable runs given the right water. I am quite keen to explore the Plym, as it might be a good future late option within reasonable striking distance of London. But I do want a realistic chance of a fish.I know there’s a lot of information on the site about some of this, which I’ve looked at, but I’d really appreciate people thoughts. And any recommendations of beats or tactics on the rivers mentioned. I’m pretty much fly only so I’d be keen to hear about venues that were friendlier to that method, I believe that most of these rivers are very wooded. I’d also welcome any hints on best flies, lines etc.Also if anyone has any suggestions of other good salmon rivers that will still will be open that weekend that I might have overlooked, I'd like to hear about them.Cheers,John

More...