Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Need help. New to fly fishing.

I know nothing of fly fishing. I'm very experienced with bait casting and spinning reels but only have fly fished once in my life. I'm 51 now and taking a trip to Colorado and will be fishing there in Vrine stream. I've got a Shakespeare fly rod and reel combo (1094 reel) and have something wrong with the setup. I can't throw the fly 10 feet. I don't know what's wrong. I don't even know which side I should reel this thing! Any pointers would be appreciated.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Re: Need help. New to fly fishing.

Without seeing the actual setup you cannot really tell what is wrong. Key is the casting which is totally different to bait casting and spinning. With bait casting the weight is in the lure which is cast, with fly fishing the weight is in the fly line, you cast by loading the rod, ie retrieving the line while the rod is pointing 90 degrees to the sky and letting the line fly backwards until it puts the rod under tension and bends slightly then propel the line forwards. If the setup is only reasonable you should get 20 yards. Best bet is to look at casting video's on youtube to see the actions. Let me know what line etc you have and I'll try and help