Farlows Black Friday Fishing Tackle Sale Click Here

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

New guy after advice

I'm looking for advice on what I should buy as a learner.

I want something that I will go on to use as I live in East London I will most likely be going to fish Walthamstow reservoirs or Syon park.

If anyone has advice of better venues I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Re: New guy after advice

Like you I have only just started. The best advice I can give is to go into your local; game fishing tackle shop and speak to the guys there. They will be able to sort you out with a rod and reel combination which will suit both yourself (height etc) and the type of venue you will fish.

I'm 6'1" and will be fishing stillwaters such as Syon park and the other fisheries in the Aubury Estates group and ended up with a greys 9'6" 7 weight rod and Okuma 7/9 reel with 7 weight floating line which seems to be a nice combination. Some of the beginners outfits are also good. My casting instructor said that Shakespeare rods and reels were good value for money and I know they do some 'outfits' I believe.

Next, do as I did and get a lesson in casting so that you don't start off with bad habits. I spent a very enjoyable 4 hours with an instructor at Weston Fishery (part of the Aubury Estates group) learning to cast and then moving on to watercraft, fly selection and how to actually fish. Day was nicely capped off with a 2 1/2lb rainbow!

Planning to get a short further casting 'improvement' lesson in a couple of weeks once I have had more time to practice.