Farlows Black Friday Fishing Tackle Sale Click Here

Thread: Newbie

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi there pple, would just like to introduce myself, im Richard from Carlisle in Cumbria. This is my 2nd season fly fishing, so still learning a great deal. I fished for carp for years, but was finding it hard to justify the amount of time i had to spend on the bank. loving fly fishing so far, and no doubt i will benefit from your knowledge and craft. My 1st question is what are all you guys using as tippet/leader. Many thanks!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hi Richard, suprised you haven't had a response. I too have just started on the fly and i have just bought some of this in 8lb, as this is what was recommended. I have also bought some tapered leaders as this is supposed to present the fly a lot better. Good luck with the fishing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hello Newbie, if you dont want to go to the expense of buying tapered leaders, buy reels of flouro carbon or good old mono, in different strengths, buy using the heviest strength neariest your flyline and the lightiest at the point fly end, you will form a tappered leader, the droppers form the natural step in the tapper.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Re: Newbie

Just a quick add to this discussion. Hardy Mach fluorocarbon is excellent stuff and you won't go far wrong with that.
    It's pricey but it won't let you down if used in the appropriate way (now I've really stuck my neck out!)