Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Is "one for the pot" a danger to salmon populations?

I have often been surprised when people say catch & release doesn’t make a difference. Why? Simply because it must. Dead salmon don’t spawn.

I decided to model salmon population growth in a simple empirical way to see what would happen when different factors were applied. The results came as a bit of a shock!

I have included a little calculator for you to play with.

See what you think of my arithmetic and conclusions drawn. I could be wrong – in a way I hope I am!

One for the pot? or one too many?

Colin.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I would suggest you are wasting your time unless you know where the river is on the Stock-Recruitment Curve, anywhere to the left and you should be 100% C&R far to the right and you can weild your priest at will.
    It explains why the Scottish Salmon Management, on a river by river basis is so far ahead of the English system.

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by williegunn View Post
    I would suggest you are wasting your time unless you know where the river is on the Stock-Recruitment Curve, anywhere to the left and you should be 100% C&R far to the right and you can weild your priest at will.
    It explains why the Scottish Salmon Management, on a river by river basis is so far ahead of the English system.

Yes, agree about specific river management. Actually most of the primary salmon rivers in English and Wales rivers have Trusts just like Scotland though true legislation (rather than guidelines) must come from EA.

I think the key here, as you suggest, is that you must know what your particular river is producing in terms of reproductive success which means you must MEASURE on an annual basis everything you can but, most essentially, smolts going out and, if possible, adults coming back. Without measurement you should be very careful with cropping. Even when there are lots of fish in the river you might think it is ok to wield the priest – but actually this is not true. The C&K% must be less % than the RS% or you will start a decline – no matter how many fish you have. The balance between killing and production is a very sensitive one and the angler can tip the balance!

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews