Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    The actual reality that doing a lot of fishing doesn’t necessarily make you great or even good, it just means that you do a lot of fishing.
    The day became more hiking than fishing and approaching the camp, a small pool on a bend deserved a try. The fly landed on the far side and the line tightened. A good fish took off upstream and the salmon jumped. The reel was screaming and all of a sudden went silent. Looking at my reel, my backing was dangling, the knot had come undone. Threading my backing thru the guides, taking the end in my hand, I waded out into the river and gently retrieved the end of my fly line and reattached my line to the backing. The salmon after landing swam away and behind me laughter filled the evening quiet. Witnesses! How long would the laughter last?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Thirty Two Pounds!

It was on the Tweed at Cardrona in 1946, one of the first club trips after the war and my first time on a big river. I was five and a half.

I had a seven foot rod, a wee brass reel and the business end had a Pennell tackle armed with a worm. I was almost over the top of my wellies when a fish took my worm, ran between my legs and beached itself. I fell on it - backwards.

When I recovered I wrapped my arms round it and ran up to my dad shouting, “look what I’ve got”. He took it, unhooked it and knocked it on the head saying, "you’re not supposed to catch salmon”. Then it was hidden away until finishing time.

Thirty two pounds. I’ve been nowhere close to that during the following sixty four years.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Fishing on Langley Dam N.E England

I don't fish reservoirs too many times in a season but on this occasion I was to fish Langley dam near Haydon Bridge.
    Myself and John Hopkins arrived to see we were the only two people booked in for the day and to our excitement the fish were rising all over the lake.
    We got ready rather quick in case the rise stopped. John said he had never seen how to fish with Buzzers so I tackled up a rig with Buzzers and proceeded.
    Second cast Yes! a two pounder, then another and another the Buzzers were working.
    I had just downed a cuppa chia and put out my line as it hit the water there was a swirl and my line went taught, I lifted in and Yes it felt heavy John stood up to stretch his legs while this fish took off! the line was racing away then it stopped went slack I started hand lining as it was swimming straight towards the boat and fast, it came to the surface like a shark then it happened! the fish launched it's self at the boat. John was standing proud until the fish hit him straight in the Gonads, the familiar sound of UGHHHHHH! Rang out the fish was in the boat flapping around, John was doubled up, I was in hysterics. I couldn't even kill the fish as I was in the process of trying not to wet myself! IT WAS PRICELESS!
    When things calmed I managed to dispatch the fish (Rainbow) and it weighed in at a healthy 8lbs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Scary stuff

In a river far…far…. away….. chest deep in a pool methodically fishing for sea-

runs, when out of a corner of my eye I saw something coming at me landing

inches from my arm. Water dripping off my face, furiously I scream to my

friends looking for an explanation of why they would throw a boulder at me

while I was fishing. They replied with blank looks and a hundred yards away,

I look down at my feet searching for an explanation ……and there at my feet

lay the biggest fish I have ever seen…… that was the first time I have ever

encountered a salmon. Startled, I let out a yelp and bolted for the bank. My

friends quickly rushed to my aid questioning my safety. I pointed toward the

river and there, they could see the outline of the salmon….. Both plopped

down beside me and laughed hysterically.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    River Børselv many years ago. I was fishing my first fly rod seasons. My friend had been there fishing for a couple of years and his biggest Atlantic were about 8lb then.

He broke his rod one night and went to cabins to change rod. I stayed fishing.

I got a huge bite from downstream. I was fishing 12' Century rod, which was vee-eery slow. Fish swam past me upstream and stayed and jumped there. I started to yell my friend to help me, even I knew that he won't hear me. I yelled so hard that my throat went very sore. I almost begun to cry, I was so helpless then. It took a lots of time to subdue him.

Fish got tired and I began to wonder how to get it to shore. It was very rocky pool. I got his head to some rock cavity and jumped to neck of the fish. Then I yelled from pain. I had hit my fingers to treble hooks shanks, witch were attached to outside of his nose so, that shanks pointed to fishes tail. How come that is possible?
    I had to kill the fish and start to pick hook from my hands. I put the fish gently to a large rock and sat beside of it and started to smoke. I tried to be ingorant as my fried came and asked me what the heck was that. He meant the fish, because it was doubled of his biggest fish from there.

It was a fresh 16lb cock salmon, beauty as hell.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The Art of Fly Fishing

I was ready, 'I' was now a 'Fly Fisherman', this was it!, Matt Hayes, John Wilson, Paul Young, all those know-it- all *******s dragging huge Salmon from fishless dirty puddles on television....now it was my turn!...I started to false cast, and as I did so huge caddis fly flew into my mouth, just as I was biting down on a piece of chewing gum, it buzzed momentarily before squirting a little liquid to the back of my throat, making me choke, another fly flew behind my sunglasses making me blind, meanwhile my back cast was still travelling at 200 miles per hour in a perfectly straight line until it reached the baseball cap of a fly fisherman dressed like the anglers version of Robo-Cop, my fly ripped his cap off, it flew past me and was presented to the river where my sinking line took it under...Joan Wulff would have been proud.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Salmon Tales

Nith, nice height, salmon moving through.
    Fishing Bridge Pool , to the admiration of a Bus load of tourists.
    Line tightens, into a fish to the delight of my audience.
    Backing out of water, suddenly i am upside down, immersed!!
    I had backed into large boulder, it got me squarely behind kneecaps, causing my early bath!!
    Held rod high, stood up, see cap floating away!, fish still on. Minutes later grass grilse of 7lbs. Release fish, head for home soaked, to rapturous applause!.
    Later, change of clothes, same pool, no bus, still a few tourists about.
    Line tightens, bigger fish this time, decide to get out quick, SPLASH, AM IN AGAIN!! same rock, same result!!
    Land fish, twelve pounds, release, tourists applause, off home again!
    Later, having quiet beer in hotel, get tap on shoulder, Tourist giving me my cap back!, asks me what time i was performing tomorrow!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Naturals are a good bet to wake a sleeping giant!

We were at the Hatchery Pool on the beautiful Margaree River. From the bank above you could see several salmon lying and moving about in the clean clear water below.

After several anglers had tried their luck it was my turn to attempt to have the King of Sport Fish rise to one of my flies. I had tried several flies both wet and dry without success.

My attention was taken away from fishing for a moment as I watched a butterfly come from the trees on the opposite side of the river. He fluttered aimlessly above the water. At one point midway through his flight he touched the surface of the water and at that moment a Salmon exploded on the surface trying to catch him. The butterfly was safe. The Salmon missed. I guess the only thing that would work on that day was a natural.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

vancouver island trip

Back in Sept 97,i went to Vancouver island,canada.I went there with a friend and stayed with relatives.We fished a river that would normally be a raging torrent but because of unusually warm conditions and lack of rain for that time of year it was reduced to a stream. In between pockets of boulders,(The size of houses),were crystal clear pools holding anything from cut throat trout,salmon and steelhead.It was the perfect setting,pine forests,sheer cliff faces,eagles flying overhead and at one point we saw a female black bear with her cubs cross a single dissused railway line.As bait we were using salmon eggs because it was at that time of year that the salmon would usually be spawning and making their way up the rivers,while the salmon were spawning the steelheads would be layed up behind them eating the salmons eggs so it was the ideal bait used plain and simply with one rather large split shot. The pools were very deep and when you dropped your line in,the fish were coming out and grabbing the bait. The Salmon we were catching had fantastic markings and actually made Barking noises...Crazy but true,the whole experience was wild,nature at its best.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Gus only pronounces the front half of any word. “Fi!!!” he booms with volume rarely thought capable of a two year old.
    “Fish,” I agree, and then add, “That’s a Steely buddy.”
    His ears perk up, “Uh!” he replies with nose curling, and a firm nod of his head.
    “Is that a steelhead Gus?”
    He looks at me, starting to curl his nose and I think he has it, “Noo! Fi!!!” he returns in a combative tone.
    “It’s a steelhead bud, but yes, it is a fish.” I try another angle, “Is it big Gus?”
    Gus is quick to affirm, “Uh!” he says with an unwavering grunt.
    I’m on a roll, “You wanna fish for steelhead someday with daddy?”
    Gus leaves the picture, waddles over to the fridge door and says, “Wa! Sa!”
    “Waffles and sausage?” I ask in a deflated tone.
    “Uh!”
    The tutorial is postponed, for now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast