Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

First Salmon

Just after dawn and thoughts of Hemingway.
    "Now is the time to think of only one thing. That which I was born for."
    The Eden is ‘my’ river. I was born almost on it. I’d swum, paddled, poked and mooched almost all of ‘my’ stretch.
    First cast, across and up into the ripples, down, around into the pool.
    Some primeval zings hitting receptors, inner smiles.
    Second cast, almost the same spot. The viewed, and subconscious, worlds zoom into that spot; the rest of the world is incidental.
    Head and eyes rotate left, following fly.
    Flash! Silver! That’s close! He’s on!
    Wind! Why all this slack? Tension!
    This is easy I almost think; then he wakes up!
    Bang, running, rod bent almost double. Round, downstream, heavy.
    I’m sweating and winding.
    Turned him, he’s coming!
    Edge of pool, he leaps, magnificent!
    He spits fly.
    I love that fish!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

A wrong to be recitified

When 15yrs old seemed a long way off, my father took my younger brother and I to the River Fynn, for a weekends fishing. Enthusiastic trout anglers and inspired by The River Runs Through It, we headed off to a remote leap. After what seemed like an eternity for a young child, my reel screamed off and the line zipped the waters surface down stream. Forgetting everything I was ever taught, I proceeded to winch the fish in. No rod pumping, no allowing it to run, just cranking the reel handle like a clacker from a football match. Result: 2 cut hands from having to hand line it in following a catastrophic reel failure and broken rod, only for it to get off at the bank. Another angler seeing my distraught face came up to me a through a long silver foil wrapped object at me. I caught the object, ‘Now you have caught a fish’ he said.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Science?

The dense stand of trees rose uniformly towards the overcast sky. The temperature was crisp yet typical for May.
    I could spot count at least thirty steelhead in the pool. I crouched, casting patience and persistence at the pod of chrome.
    I heard splashing upstream. Uncertain as to what was navigating this small creek with such a ruckus, I kept a keen eye.
    Around the corner came two snorkels, bobbing along with the current; two biologists doing their steelhead surveys.
    The biologists gently steered their way towards my beat, and the steelhead scattered, like boy scouts from a rabid, red squirrel. The two paused in the river to collaborate and compare count.
    “I saw two here,” the man said faintly, gasping for breath.
    His partner nodded, and said with an archaic tone, “One.”
    Greatly bewildered, I watched the two government employees swim downstream, full of hope and purpose, furthering science.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

My Toby

The river on arrival was high and coloured, just too high for my likening, so up went the spinning rod and my brand new Toby. The flash of that silver beauty made me reach for my sun shades, such was the shininess.

Half way down the pool a strong take awakened me from my thoughtless wanderings and I followed it down the pool. it was taking line as it sped off down the river. Huffing and puffing down after it, legs going everywhere with the slippery stones, heart beating as surely this would be my leviathan that has eluded me for over 30 years.

Another fisher below me, oh no he's in the way. Yelling at him to get out of the way, managed to get level with this brute of a fish and after much rod pumping, managed to get my first look at my ......... Fertiliser bag.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The legend of the river.

Waders and felt soled boots begin to creep,
    submerging shallow into deep,
    holding a mighty split cane with eyes of its own,
    with a reel resembling the moon and reflecting the sun.

Carrying sinking or floating even silk line,
    greets a six pound trace, which a surgeons loop keeps in place.

Now to a tasty meal to which our legend might appeal,
    it might be a silver doctor or a teeny nymph even a silver rat,
    which might attract.

Whether it be roll or overhead cast, placing the fly is a
    professional task.

Bubbling rocks further down stream, tis a sign where that legend may be,
    out of the water taking the fly,one last look to the sky, he takes a dive.
    With a bending bouncing rod and a whirlwind fuelled reel
    time to get him in the creel.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Just Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    SALMON TALES - sponsored by SAGE

Ever dreamed of literary greatness? This competition may not lead you to the Booker or Pulitzer Prize, but it could win you a fantastic Sage Z-Axis salmon rod!

In three different monthly competitions from May-July, tell us your best salmon/steelhead/sea trout stories in less than 150 words. We are looking for short tales capturing the essence of fishing for these magnificent wild species with a different topic/style each month.

This competition starts now;-

May 2010 - Fishy Tales - tell us your most humorous experience in the pursuit of these elusive giants, true or fictional.

Just reply to this thread below with your entry.

The overall winner becomes the proud owner of a brand new:
    SAGE Z-Axis Series Double Handed Fly Rod Size: 15ft 0in #10 4pce (RRP £779)

This is not all. The winning entry may also be featured on the Sage website (at Sage's discretion) which is probably more alluring to a fishing enthusiast than winning either the Booker or Pulitzer Prize!

The lucky monthly winners can choose a Spey Line of their choice courtesy of Rio.

Terms and conditions
    1. Maximum of two entries per member per monthly competition.
    2. Closing Date and Time: Competition closes for entries at midnight (GMT) on the last day of each month respectively. Entries made after the closing time will not be taken into consideration. The overall winner will be decided upon and announced in August.
    3. The winners will be contacted by us once a decision has been made.
    4. Any person who is an employee or an immediate family member of an employee of Far Bank Enterprises or Fish&Fly Ltd is ineligible to participate.
    5. All decisions of Fish&Fly Ltd will be final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
    6. By submitting content, you agree to give Fish&Fly a permanent, irrevocable licence to use your content as it thinks fit.
    ~
    On one of my many trips to attempt to lure a salmon I often stopped at the mouth of the river to view the tidal pools in Dundrum Bay, County Down.

I watched in horror to see an individual snatch a salmon on the back with trebles and land it, only to dispatch it into a waiting bag. Still pondering what to do I heard the individual alert his friend to the fact the baliff was walking towards them. Rods were quickly dismantled and the fish hid in a nearby hedge. The baliff came and politely chatted to all standing on the bridge. In the background I could not help but notice the baliff's dog pull the hidden catch from the hedge and drop it at the feet of the offending individual. I could only walk away with tears of laughter rolling down my face!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

First double up

The 3am alarm woke me on a lovely august morning.
    I quickly grab the flask before my 15 minute journey to the river.

I arrive at the river to be greeted with the site of a falling spate.
    Speedily i set up my tcr with a floating line and my 2 favourite flies a cascade on the point and a small stoats tail on the dropper.

Once at my favourite pool i cast a short line into the broken water mid swing i feel a hit but nothing i wait a few seconds and recast suddenly the line draws tight fish on!
    I play the fish hard and notice a seatrout of 1lb on the dropper but this feels heavy then i catch sight of the stunning 15lb summer salmon on the point fly.
    A moment to cherish forever perfect....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Swimming with the natives.

Clutching futilely, I slipped, crashing into the Forth River pursuing my first firmly hooked sea trout, now heading tide-borne upstream. Cursing and spluttering, one hand flailed to keep me righted, the other desperately grasping the precious Z-Axis. It dawned that hooking an elusive sea-run trout at low tide on muddy banks had been the easy part.

The wader belt held and I was afloat, ridiculously cruising upstream. Possibly overcommitted to the cause, I reasoned there was nothing else to lose – possibly only my life, so reaching for the reel and finding the fish still on, resumed the fight despite landing being out of the question, since I was not on land.

Playing the fish out while remaining afloat was an exercise akin to performing in a circus, so it was with relief that a desperate lunge saw my fingers slide into the gills of a five pound silver torpedo.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Body Piercing

A novice to fly fishing, my old mate Davo had generously taken me under his wing to teach me the fine and ancient art.

We were drifting along the ominously tannin-stained waters of western Tasmania’s Arthur River in search of elusive giant sea-run trout.

Fishing all day without joy, my tired casting deteriorated into mindless flogging, until our silence was suddenly broken by a groan from Davo. Turning to me, I noticed my Tasman Minnow, decorating his right cheek.

We were hours from civilization.

“You’re going to have to push it through and cut off the barb”, he said through clenched teeth.

Gingerly I poked at the hook, as Dav stiffened stoically. Finding his cheek a lot tougher than I thought, I pushed harder now, exposing the barb. Cutting it off, I backed the hook out of the two new holes in his face. At least I’d caught something.

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

And May's winner is................??

aenoon with this Salmon Tale which nets him a brand new fly line courtesy of Simon Gawesworth at Rio .

Well done and we'll be in touch about how to claim your new fly line and of course are now also entered in the grand final for the Sage rod!

Thanks to all the other entrants - there were many great stories to choose from and so we hope you will all have a go at June's competition which will be posted up shortly!

Here is the winning entry once again...................

Salmon Tale
    Nith, nice height, salmon moving through.
    Fishing Bridge Pool , to the admiration of a Bus load of tourists.
    Line tightens, into a fish to the delight of my audience.
    Backing out of water, suddenly i am upside down, immersed!!
    I had backed into large boulder, it got me squarely behind kneecaps, causing my early bath!!
    Held rod high, stood up, see cap floating away!, fish still on. Minutes later grass grilse of 7lbs. Release fish, head for home soaked, to rapturous applause!.
    Later, change of clothes, same pool, no bus, still a few tourists about.
    Line tightens, bigger fish this time, decide to get out quick, SPLASH, AM IN AGAIN!! same rock, same result!!
    Land fish, twelve pounds, release, tourists applause, off home again!
    Later, having quiet beer in hotel, get tap on shoulder, Tourist giving me my cap back!, asks me what time i was performing tomorrow!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123