Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

SALMON TALES - Win a SAGE Z-Axis double-hander (June competition)

SALMON TALES - sponsored by SAGE

Ever dreamed of literary greatness? This competition may not lead you to the Booker or Pulitzer Prize, but it could win you a fantastic Sage Z-Axis salmon rod!

In three different monthly competitions from May-July, tell us your best salmon/steelhead/sea trout stories in less than 150 words. We are looking for short tales capturing the essence of fishing for these magnificent wild species with a different topic/style each month.

This competition starts now;-

June 2010 - Tales of the Unexpected - salmon/steelhead/sea trout stories with a twist, true or fictional.

Just reply to this thread below with your entry.

The overall winner becomes the proud owner of a brand new:
    SAGE Z-Axis Series Double Handed Fly Rod Size: 15ft 0in #10 4pce (RRP £779)

This is not all. The winning entry may also be featured on the Sage website (at Sage's discretion) which is probably more alluring to a fishing enthusiast than winning either the Booker or Pulitzer Prize!

The lucky monthly winners can choose a Spey Line of their choice courtesy of Rio.

Terms and conditions
    1. Maximum of two entries per member per monthly competition.
    2. Closing Date and Time: Competition closes for entries at midnight (GMT) on the last day of each month respectively. Entries made after the closing time will not be taken into consideration. The overall winner will be decided upon and announced in August.
    3. The winners will be contacted by us once a decision has been made.
    4. Any person who is an employee or an immediate family member of an employee of Far Bank Enterprises or Fish&Fly Ltd is ineligible to participate.
    5. All decisions of Fish&Fly Ltd will be final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
    6. By submitting content, you agree to give Fish&Fly a permanent, irrevocable licence to use your content as it thinks fit.
    ~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

A tale of the unexpected- Oi, That’s my salmon

The fishing on the tweed was particularly patchy that season. Months of preparation and weeks of flogging had as yet only resulted in several lost grilse. I picked the best weeks, the best beats and the best guillies. I literally couldn’t buy a bite.
    I should’ve given up when I lost that particularly big grilse (my landrover). Or in when my dream scottish monster charged off with 100yards of backing before slipping the hook (an Aberdeen angus bull).
    I persevered though, and perseverance always pays off. It was the last day of the season and regardless of prior events I still fancied my chances. I reached the river by noon, first cast and I was in (to a real salmon this time). It led me a merry song and dance for a while, and then in a watery explosion it became a rather unwelcome seal. OI! That’s my salmon.

st7
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Lookout behind you!

I was night fishing for seatrout on the River Ribble. Conditions seemed good at first; warm with little wind. After about half an hour I managed an acrobatic herling that could only have been a few hours out of the salt. However my optimism soon dissolved with the overhead cloud and a thick mist began to swirl around me as the temperature dropped. I persevered for another hour or so but the river had gone dead with the sudden coldness and I could barely see the end of my rod. I began the half-mile walk back to the car in the thick mist. I didn't bother to put on a torch as I knew the beat well and simply followed the sound of the river next to me. BANG. I walked into something. But it wasn't hard and tree-like as I expected. More warm and hairy. I had walked straight into the wrong end of a sleeping horse! I'm not sure who was more surprised, but he didn't stick around to discuss matters. I always carry my rods facing behind me, otherwise he would have felt me coming from 10 foot 6 away!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Onto a Big One

The pool looks particularly tricky to cover. I straddle a rocky channel and back-cast to avoid the overhanging trees. The line sweeps sweetly round behind me. I wait. A hiss as the line pulls tight, then nothing. A boulder, surely. A huge bow-wave surges towards the rocks I'm standing across. A giant salmon emerges, thrashing its way through the shallow pass. The line snags, then snaps with a hiss. I panic. As the beast appears below me I drop onto its back, gripping its dorsal fin, clamping its body with my legs. We descend into the dark pool. Freezing darkness, green and white flashes of light all around. The salmon bucks and bolts as I snatch gulps of air. We beach on a shallow bank. Exhausted, I loosen my grip on him. He looks me in the eye for a moment then slips away into the dark water.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

A Spey tale

Last year was Deans last trip to the Spey before emigrating to Australia.
    We sat on the river bank taking in the scenery of the cairngorms with the Osprey passing by.
    Dean tip toed in to the run first followed by myself.
    I noticed an otter in the same run as ourselves working it's way up the run in the dark.
    Our hearts sank, the fish will be spooked now and at just that point Dean hooked a fish near where the otter was seen.
    The sea trout made acrobatic leaps and rolls then long deep runs until the 3lb bar of silver was brought to the net.
    It was a sad moment as Dean released the fish, he knew he was not going to catch another sea trout in such a beautiful location for a very long time but what a wonderful memory to take to Australia.

Dean

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The sea trout story

Warm day low river.
    Started at the neck of fast pool, single handed rod small fly, no luck.
    Get near tail, change to larger treble, cast, let fly cover a lie, gentliest pull, lift, massive commotion, fish sets of upstream at speed, bow wave was awesome!
    30 yds of backing out, follow fish upstream, line back on reel, it does it again! Follow again, get above fish which bores deep , cannot move it!
    After fifteen minutes get head of fish up, and into the net.
    Find my treble hooked into the eye of another massive treble, which was embedded in base of dorsal fin of 12lbs sea trout, five feet after it, another large treble joined to 30lbs nylon!
    Unhook trebles, release fish, pretty sure it turned and looked me in the eye at this point.
    Releasing that fish gave me more satisfaction than dozens of its predecessors

regards
    bert

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    It was going to be my first trip to the river for over two years. My journey began just off the Wirral Peninsula
    Arriving at Corwen everything looked perfect no anglers around although I had seen one a few hundred yards down stream, The Allys Cascade (Although due to my lack of experience at the time it was just another Shrimp) swung round in the current and before I knew what was going on the line was screaming off the Hardy Perfect Salmon reel, Thirty minutes of madness followed before the net slipped through the waters surface and everything went Calm.
    I could not believe what had just happened I had been caught the Angler gently removed the hook held me in the current then released his grip and I gently glided off upstream tired but perfectly fit to continue my journey and spawn the future generation.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Sea trout in the night

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    SALMON TALES - sponsored by SAGE

Ever dreamed of literary greatness? This competition may not lead you to the Booker or Pulitzer Prize, but it could win you a fantastic Sage Z-Axis salmon rod!

In three different monthly competitions from May-July, tell us your best salmon/steelhead/sea trout stories in less than 150 words. We are looking for short tales capturing the essence of fishing for these magnificent wild species with a different topic/style each month.

This competition starts now;-

June 2010 - Tales of the Unexpected - salmon/steelhead/sea trout stories with a twist, true or fictional.

Just reply to this thread below with your entry.

The overall winner becomes the proud owner of a brand new:
    SAGE Z-Axis Series Double Handed Fly Rod Size: 15ft 0in #10 4pce (RRP £779)

This is not all. The winning entry may also be featured on the Sage website (at Sage's discretion) which is probably more alluring to a fishing enthusiast than winning either the Booker or Pulitzer Prize!

The lucky monthly winners can choose a Spey Line of their choice courtesy of Rio.

Terms and conditions
    1. Maximum of two entries per member per monthly competition.
    2. Closing Date and Time: Competition closes for entries at midnight (GMT) on the last day of each month respectively. Entries made after the closing time will not be taken into consideration. The overall winner will be decided upon and announced in August.
    3. The winners will be contacted by us once a decision has been made.
    4. Any person who is an employee or an immediate family member of an employee of Far Bank Enterprises or Fish&Fly Ltd is ineligible to participate.
    5. All decisions of Fish&Fly Ltd will be final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
    6. By submitting content, you agree to give Fish&Fly a permanent, irrevocable licence to use your content as it thinks fit.
    ~
    There are special moments in angling that come to those that venture forth and ask the question.
    We talked of fish and fishing in the hut whilst light and colour faded from the day then as darkness enveloped the valley we walked to the riverbank.
    Owls called from the surrounding trees, the rhythmic clatter of a far off train carried through the night air. I proceeded down the pool searching the dark water with each cast.
    Suddenly a jolt of life exploded down the line; there came a splash as if a large brick had been thrown into the river. A glimpse of silver gyrating in the air, the reel sang its song and the drama of a tussle in the dark followed.
    A magnificent prize lay within the folds of the net a silver flanked sea trout tempted on the fly at night, one of anglings greatest thrills.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Special moments

There are special moments in angling that come to those that venture forth and ask the question.
    We talked of fish and fishing in the hut whilst light and colour faded from the day then as darkness enveloped the valley we walked to the riverbank.
    Owls called from the surrounding trees, the rhythmic clatter of a far off train carried through the night air. I proceeded down the pool searching the dark water with each cast.
    Suddenly a jolt of life exploded down the line; there came a splash as if a large brick had been thrown into the river. A glimpse of silver gyrating in the air, the reel sang its song and the drama of a tussle in the dark followed.
    A magnificent prize lay within the folds of the net a silver flanked sea trout tempted on the fly at night, one of angling's greatest thrills.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Third Time Lucky

Late May, Lancashire’s Lune down to its bare bones and me trout fishing. A team of small spiders is cast across a fast run at the head of a shrunken ‘pot’. First cast, an unseen force quietly snaps off the point fly. Surprised, I replace with a Greenwell, and return the flies to the run. In the same spot, a large fish rises and takes the new fly. I tighten, the fish runs across the pool, then to-, then fro-, then falls off.

Disconsolate, shaking, I contemplate what might have been. Brownie? Sea trout? Salmon? Moments later, to my surprise there’s a noisy splash in the run, exactly where the hook-ups happened. Hand shaking, I re-arm with a beefed-up leader and small double Butcher. Perfectly presented, there’s a slow draw and it’s fish on, fish fought, then fish beached. So, third time lucky, I’ve my only Lune ’springer’, at 8lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast