Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

A very personal moment

My big brother passed away last week but we managed to achieve a life long ambition of a Salmon trip together only six weeks earlier.

We arrived at Kenmore on the River Tay late in the afternoon and we were 'blown away' by the sheer beauty of the place, our homeland nonetheless.

I rose early next day for a Spey casting lesson at 530 am.

I returned to the hotel and donned my neoprene waders – much to the amusement of my bro. I must admit I had gone for the cheap and unflattering pair!

I will never forget standing in the middle of the Tay and seeing my bro downstream turn around and give me the thumbs up.

I did, in my first few hours, hook into a fish but it broke me in my sheer excitement and inexperience.

We never did get another chance of a fish…but that day will stay with me forever.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

My submission

Sorry - I should have submitted that in next months where the topic was 'personal' tales.

Craig

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Sorry...

revised to 150 words exactly....

My big brother passed away last week but we managed to achieve a life long ambition of a Salmon trip together only six weeks earlier.

We arrived at Kenmore on the River Tay late in the afternoon and we were 'blown away' by the sheer beauty of the place.

I rose early next day for a Spey casting lesson at 530 am.

I returned to the hotel and donned my neoprene waders – much to the amusement of my bro. I had gone for the cheap and unflattering pair!

I will never forget standing in the middle of the Tay and seeing my bro downstream turn around and give me the thumbs up.

I did, in my first few hours fishing, hook into a fish but it broke me in my sheer excitement and inexperience.

We never did get another chance of a fish…but that day will stay with me forever.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

My first day Salmon Fishing

New wellies two sizes too big, they reached my knees and their gleam matched my fathers excitement of being offered a day on some private water.

The old major, an archaic remmant of the landlord class met us at the imposing castle door and bid us good luck. My father thanked him for his hospitality and nudged me in the direction of the car. As we excitedly made our way towards the car the old major shouted in his finest stutter.

"What ho Willie, of course any fish you catch are for the Ca Ca Castle"

My father did no speak a word as we went straight home, and putting away the rods he whispered, "I'll take you to the estuary to-morrow for some Sea Trout".

I have inherited my fathers love of fishing, but also inherited his pride and have never fished private water. What ho Major, I never will.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The third Eye

"Where are you going shouted Mick", above the rock I calmly replied, there's a fresh fish about 7 lbs there and I'll take him first cast on a Foxford Shrimp.
    "No chance" shouted Mick, "not even a lost Russian Salmon would lie there"

I knew with abolsute certainty, I somehow had already visualised the take,the fight and the landing. Almost in a trance I cast out and watched the line come around, a beautiful head and tail rise exactly as I seen it in my minds eye and a 7lb fresh run grilse was soon dispatched.

"You must have made a pact with the faeries shouted Mick" as I walked back to the "good" water.

Years later I read of Hugh Faulkus having a similar experience. Wherever you are Hugh, thank the faeries for me and enjoy a wee dram with them. When I have made my own last cast we can open a bottle and toast our good fortune to have been salmon anglers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

explanation

"No chance" shouted Mick, "not even a lost Russian Salmon would lie there"

Many years ago on a nameless west of ireland salmon river where a 12lber was a great fish a number of much bigger fish were seen each summer - 15-20lbers. Some bright soul decided they must be russian salmon that got lost.

And as it goes, myth became legend, and legend became fact and every young salmon angler sought to catch a lost russian monster salmon.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

My true tale from the 1970s

Deep in my own thoughts, only for a young lad of around 10 with an old greenheart rod clutched in his hands, asked caught anything mister?

Before I could answer the rod nearly tore from my arm, when a salmon of around 10 lbs took my trout fly. The young laddie was excited as he told me he had never seen a salmon caught before.

After what seemed like an eternity the fish was in shallow enough water for me to grasp its tail, but noticed it had decease on its head and tail. I thought as the river was full enough of dying fish, decided to give it to the lad. The look on his face when he swung this large fish over his shoulders and set off home was a huge delight to me and I wonder what tales he told on its capture when he got home.

Administrator
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

June's Salmon Tales winner

After a long deliberation and reading though the winning entry three times, we came to the conclusion that allanw is June's Salmon Tale winner.

allanw wins a Rio line of his choice and has a chance of netting the overall Grand Prize of a Sage Double Handed Rod.

allanw's entry had both the unexpected element and the twist, I am sure you agree.

Here is the winning entry once again...................

It was going to be my first trip to the river for over two years. My journey began just off the Wirral Peninsula
    Arriving at Corwen everything looked perfect no anglers around although I had seen one a few hundred yards down stream, The Allys Cascade (Although due to my lack of experience at the time it was just another Shrimp) swung round in the current and before I knew what was going on the line was screaming off the Hardy Perfect Salmon reel, Thirty minutes of madness followed before the net slipped through the waters surface and everything went Calm.
    I could not believe what had just happened I had been caught the Angler gently removed the hook held me in the current then released his grip and I gently glided off upstream tired but perfectly fit to continue my journey and spawn the future generation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12