Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Shooting head system

Hello all, I have just purchased a Hardy shooting head system. This comprises of a running line and 3 separate heads. The heads come with a bonded loop on them but the running line does not. My question is what would be the best way to attach the running line to the heads. I thought about a braided loop but was wondering if this would be strong enough as I suspect this will get a lot of pressure on it
    I would be grateful if someone could advise best method to employ.
    Regards in advance

Alli68

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Re: Shooting head system

Quote Originally Posted by alli68 View Post
    Hello all, I have just purchased a Hardy shooting head system. This comprises of a running line and 3 separate heads. The heads come with a bonded loop on them but the running line does not. My question is what would be the best way to attach the running line to the heads. I thought about a braided loop but was wondering if this would be strong enough as I suspect this will get a lot of pressure on it
    I would be grateful if someone could advise best method to employ.
    Regards in advance

Alli68
    Now that's dumber than a stump, not your question ... to put it mildly. But there is an easy fix.

First take about 6" of the running line and loop same over back onto the running line (BIG LOOPS ARE GOOD, trust me on that one) and take 6# mono fishing line (not leader material). Run same through a fly tie bobbin and wrap same tightly (you can use two fly vises, but the easier way is just to have someone hold both ends and stretch tight).

Anyway an inch-inch an a half of tight windings will hold it come hell or high water. You DO want to run this over the end of the folded over running line for a smooth transition get rid of the 'lump').

Do recommend you use a few drops of 'super glue' to set this in place, but some line manufactures don't recommend the use of this product (melts the plastic). There a few very light coats of head cement or "Sally Hanson's hard as nails" will do the job. All this does is smooth out the surface, not much more (in my experience anyway).

Key there is VERY LIGHT COATS, three or four, let dry between.

Puppy will slid through your tip-top like 'Bob's your Uncle.'

fae

Edit: Small addition needed. At the end of the wraps, take a 6"'ish bit of the leader material and form a loop, loop down towards the end of the wraps, half dozen wraps over the top and stick the end into the loop and pull back through to snug the thing up. Same procedure if you're wrapping guides onto a rod build.
    Fred

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Fred,
    Thanks very much for your reply.
    Will give that ago.

Regards

Alli68

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Re: Shooting head system

You're most welcome Sir. Good thing about the above is it's an easy fix even if you're on the river bank.

Fred

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Shooting heads are meant to be attached to a straight running line made just for that purpose. Which is a fairly thin level line .... kind of like the line that is behind to front end of a WF line.....You may be attaching your shooting head to a fly line that already has a Weight forward section built into it and that probably won't work.

The shooting line is meant to be set up.... Backing - running line - shooting head - leader - fly - huge fish

hope this helps

Costa Rica Fishing | Puerto Vallarta fishing | Cabo Fishing