RPS
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Are they really "travelling" when caught?

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    RPS, yes, I agree entirely with what you are saying. I have often watched fish coming into the tails of pools and jostling for position – the best position! What normally separates an experienced and successful angler from an ‘improver’ is the ability to recognise likely lies (where fish stop) and fish specifically to them – i.e. making sure the fly is swimming at the correct depth/speed etc as it comes over the lie. Of course pinpointing these spots is where a local guide/ghillie can help enormously. On several occasions I have been told to focus on a lie that really I would not have recognised – with success! On the other hand if you have unlimited access to a beat – club water for example, then finding out where the good spots are is part of the pleasure. Unfortunately, many beginners and ‘improvers’ fall into the – wade deep and attempt to cast to the other side of the river – trap. It breaks my heart when I see it especially when I am due down the pool next!

So, I agree that our prime target is a fish that has stopped in a lie for however long/short a time and is alert as opposed to a doggo/sleep like state. A radio-tagging study on the main Tyne showed how one 18lb salmon stayed all summer in one very large pool and every evening/night moved from a very deep position to a shallow lie. It moved back to the deep lie during the day. I suspect this fish would have been very catchable when it first arrived in its shallow lie – alert and exercised! But it was not caught by anyone -- so perhaps not!

It pays to sit down and think, decide on likely lies and fish those on your half of the river first! And yes ignore running fish!

Colin.

RPS
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    RPS

I agree totally with you.

How many salmon have I seen caught which are clearly"porpoising" their way up a river - None

How many times have I seen a salmon caught within a few seconds of the fly/lure entering the water - Many

IMHO, it has been those with spinning rods who are most "guilty" of trying to catch "travelling" fish or those just starting out on their fishing careers.

Older hands at the game have mostly learnt to ignore such displays by the fish.

One thing I was not aware of until recently pointed out to me was that Salmon do tend to move from deep to shallow water around either side of noon when the sun is highest and also from the Tail of a pool to the neck as darkness approaches. Never thought about it until it was said to me. Makes sense to me.

humber123

RPS
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews