Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Worming for salmon on fly rod

Hello,
    i was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of instruction, has anyone ever tryed to fishing for salmon on a fly rod using worms, on several river i fish you are allowed to spin ect but i prefer not to, and would really like to try worming for salmon on a fly rod- any tips on technique or help would be much appreciated
    thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hello! I'd better admit first of all that despite having caught many salmon (mostly on fly, but some on spinner) over the years, I have never caught a salmon on a worm! Never!! It remains a real ambition for me and I don't want to put you off so I will just add that I haven't fished with a worm much!
    But I hope what I have been told by some expert worm fishers will help.121020112602.jpg
    Up on the River Nith where I have fished for ten years in July and October, a lot of the local anglers use worm. The attached picture shows two medium sized salmon caught last year on the Nith around Dumfries on worm - lovely fresh autumn run salmon. The man who caught them was staying in the caravan next to mine last year and that gave me the chance to take a close look at the set-up he uses.
    Basically braid line, with five feet of nylon 12lb or 15lb line on the end, with a 'bait controller' - a plastic tube with lead at one end and a swivel in the other, and fished as a running leger with a swivel link to stop it running on to the hook. The hook is about size 6 -relatively small - a single. And he threads about 3 or 4 biggish lob worms to the hook, leaving half the worm to move around, then trots it down over the salmon lies.
    The trick is when a salmon starts to take the worm, don't pull the worm back out of its mouth! Wait a bit (but not too long) until you can feel the fish on the end. Then pull back!
    I think using a fly-rod would be fine! Especially a longer one of 12ft plus to give you more control.
    I hope this helps.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    hi, thanks a lot for your help, i wonder why they take the worm but then agian i suppose no-body know why the take a fly really.