You are dead right ACW, 531 is pretty dreadful, especially as it seems 20 odd of those may have been counted twice. I think that makes it the second worst rod catch on record so I have difficulty in seeing where the great work done by WUF comes in. They have certainly done a lot of work, which is to their credit, but it's obviously not had a positive effect as far as salmon are concerned. I think it will be found that the rod catch has been fewer every year since than that of the year of WUF's inception. I can't agree that there are not enough rods on the river either. Since last year's hiccup I've never seen so many salmon fishermen, or incidentally, so few salmon. Perhaps, as we have had such a disappointing year, some of those who published wildly optimistic newsletters regarding the re-birth of salmon fishing on the Wye at the beginning of the year would like to now tell us why it didn't happen. A few comments from those agents who were likewise claiming a new dawn {and by the way, the rent's gone up} wouldn't go amiss either. You never know the rent might even go down next year by way of compensation.

More...