Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Cormorant impact on trout (Salmo trutta) and salmon (Salmo salar) migrating from the

Cormorant impact on trout (Salmo trutta) and salmon (Salmo salar) migrating from the river Dalälven emerging in the Baltic Sea

Publication year: 2009
    Source: Fisheries Research, Volume 98, Issues 1-3, June 2009, Pages 16-21</br>
    Maria Kristina, Boström , Sven-Gunnar, Lunneryd , Lars, Karlsson , Bjarne, Ragnarsson</br>
    Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo sinensis) population increases and the resulting predation, can lead to severe effects on fish stocks. In the Dalälven River in Sweden, it was observed that the number of trout and salmon returning to spawn decreased, while the number of cormorants along the coast had increased simultaneously. This study estimated the predatory impact that cormorants had on stocked trout (Salmo trutta) and salmon (Salmo salar) populations in 2005 and 2006 by using Coded Wire Tags and Carlin tags recovered in cormorant pellets. Predatory impact on salmon was found to be low, as no tags were recovered. Impact on...</br>

11th August 2010 12:14

More details...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Interesting. I should point out that Phalacrocorax carbo sinensis is the invasive central european subspecies that is currently causing such problems on British inland waterways. Not to be confused with the great, or coastal, cormorant P. carbo carbo.
    I believe it is the native variety that UK legislation sought to protect; not the invader.
    Shame blanket 'vermin' licences can't be issued to shoot these birds instead of having to prove damage for each application.

Cormorant subspecies identification

Fish&Fly
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blimey, Empheralla I wouldnt recognise a Gular Pouch in a cormorant line up though!

I didnt realise there were two types of cormorants - so thanks for letting us know.

Colin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    The gular pouch angle obviously best measured 'post mortem'.