A Spring Day on the Test
The Fish&Fly team recently had the chance to travel down to Timsbury in Hampshire to enjoy a days fishing on the River Test and carriers. Spring had sprung and the fish were on the Hawthorn Flies!
FROM THE FISH&FLY PHOTO ALBUM
Fish&Fly contributing editor Simon Young (l) & Chairman Richard Hewitt (r) ready to get fishing
Walking upstream at Timsbury along England's famous River Test, often referred to as the spiritual home of fly fishing
Simon Young fishes a carrier targeting trout rising to downed Hawthorn Flies trapped on the water's surface
Keeping a low profile, staying away from the water's edge and in the shadows all help disguise a fly fishers approach
Hawthorn Flies were not the only insect life taking advantage of their namesake trees
Sunlight glances off the golden gill covers of a well-conditioned Test brown trout that fell to a dry Hawthorn imitation
Below the 4# Hardy Marskman outfit was perfect on the day for accurate presentation and enjoying the fight put up by several trout such as this one that were all returned carefully to fight another day
Articles by the same author
- Boca Grande Tarpon Tournament Makes a Splash
- Salmon as Fly Fishing Film Stars
- A Bonefishing Journey by Graham Stephens
- Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - The Movie
- Simms Launches New Blog Called "The Wading Room"
- Costa Lots! The World's Most Expensive Polarised Sunglasses?
- River Dee Fundraising Auction Catalogue
- Loop Lands Investment - Goldcup AB Acquires 75% of Loop Tackle Design
- Jeremy Wade is Back Fishing for More River Monsters
- Maryland Honours Fly Fishing Legend Lefty Kreh