A chance to bid for two day’s fly fishing with rugby legend Gareth Edwards!
This year’s Atlantic Salmon Trust Fishing & Country Sports Auction has many delectable lots. One of the most attractive must be the opportunity to fish with Gareth Edwards at Murthly on the River Tay on 10th & 11th August.
Murthly is one of the great middle river beats and marches with the very pool at Caputh where Georgina Ballantine caught the largest salmon recorded by an angler in the United Kingdom. This huge fish is world renowned and is an iconic image for the Tay. Fishing Murthly is a delight in low or high water levels, whether you are fishing from the bank or a boat.
The expert ghillies provide the best advice and the huts are comfortable and easily accessed. Murthly Beat 1 has some of the best fly fishing waters on the Tay, with two separate beats (the Upper and Lower), alternating daily. Both beats consist mainly of fast flowing runs and pools, and both fish well throughout the season. The Tay at Murthly is a big river and its setting is magnificent with some of the finest and largest trees in Scotland. For an experience of a lifetime, fishing one of the most famous salmon rivers in the world, you couldn't do better than to join Gareth Edwards for two days fishing at Murthly.
Other ‘plum lots’ include:
• A day’s shooting for a team of six/seven guns on an outstanding shoot near Penrith. Expected bag 120 birds, lunch included.
• Two days driven woodcock shooting in Pembrokeshire for six guns in the 2012/13 season, organised by Michael Dawnay
• A day’s driven shooting for two experienced guns in the 2012/13 season on a private shoot in Suffolk with an expected bag of approximately 150 pheasants and partridges
• Two days hind stalking for one rifle with the owner on the spectacular Strone estate overlooking Loch Fyne, together with 2 nights accommodation at Strone House. The owner will act as both host and stalker for his fortunate guest who successfully purchases this exceptional lot
• A day’s stalking for one stag on the famous Mar Lodge Estate in the Cairngorms for one rifle
• One week salmon & sea trout fishing for two rods at a mutually convenient time during the 2012 on the very productive Ballindalloch beat of the River Avon
• Salmon fishing at Coulmony (8 miles south of Forres) on the Findhorn for two rods for one week in June or September 2012
• Three days’ salmon fishing for two rods on the Abercorn Estates’ renowned salmon water on the River Mourne, Co. Tyrone. Rotating beats include the legendary Snaa Pool. Accommodation provided in either the Clock Tower or Governors Lodge
• An exciting opportunity to experience the unparalleled fishing at the Ponoi River, Kola Peninsula, Russia, and the legendary hospitality of the Ryabaga Camp. This trip is for one rod and includes round trip helicopter flight from Murmansk to the Ponoi camp, seven nights accommodation
• Salmon and sea trout fishing on the Finavon Castle water, South Esk, six miles north of Forfar. 2 1/4 miles of double bank fishing divided into 4 2 - rod beats, each with its own access and hut
• Salmon and sea trout fishing on the Spey’s Tulchan ‘A’ Beat for three days for two rods. Accommodation included in a 2 bedroom self - catering cottage for three nights.
Keep an eye on the website to see our ‘late lots shop window’, which will be updated from now until the auction ends, and will include some exciting new lots.
Bidding on these, and hundreds of other lots, closes from 14th February. Full details of all lots, bidder registration and all the other information you’ll need on www.atlanticsalmontrust.org/auction
The auction is AST’s largest single fund-raising event each year, and the proceeds are an invaluable contribution to allowing AST to continue its work for the future of wild salmon and sea trout, and to help support research.
Articles by the same author
- Scotland Reports Lowest Rod Salmon Catch Since 2003
- The Tunny Club Exhibition
- It's Showtime at The Delphi Club
- Salmon & Trout Association Auction 2014
- Land of Giants
- Planning Victory for Scottish Salmon Campaign
- Some Big Irish Salmon Showing
- A Strong Late Run in Canada?
- UK Film Premiere – Land of Giants
- Possible Women’s World Record Sea Trout from Rio Gallegos