Sportfish Courses 2014 - Spring Tyne Salmon
Try a three day spring salmon course at Bywell on the River Tyne to maximise your chance of catching a big, silver, spring salmon!
Dates: 10 - 12 February and 13 - 15 February 2014 with eight rods available per course.
Cost: £999 per person
Fish do not migrate above the fish pass above Bywell until the water temperature reaches 42 - 43C and February water temperatures should be around 38-41C, thus optimising any Bywell rod’s prospect of picking up a spring salmon.
Bywell caught 633 Salmon in 2011, 576 Salmon in 2012 and had 22 Salmon landed in February of that year; surely a rival to many of the great Scottish spring beats.
Sportfish are offering two separate courses both running for three days apiece. Tom Festing, Tuition Manager at Sportfish, A.A.P.G.A.I and senior instructor Campbell Thomson SANA of Sportfish will be hosting the courses with the help of both Bywell ghillies, so the eight rods on each course will spend quality time with either an instructor or two very accomplished ghillies.
With help from Tom and Campbell the rods will be split into two teams of four with four having instruction and four fishing at any one time, with a swap over at lunch time.
You will learn:
• Correct rod action and fly line set up
• How to fish and get the most out of your sinking lines in order to be successful during the spring
• Fly line sink rate choices and fly recommendations
• Spey lines v shooting heads in the spring
• How to read spring water effectively
• Importance of water and air temperature
• Effective spring time Spey casting techniques
• Safe wading whilst fishing a spring river
The aim of the course is to open up the entire season to those who once thought spring fishing to be either too cold or a waste of time. What better way of turning what is traditionally a time to forget into a time to look forward to?
The package includes:
• Full board accommodation at the Angel Inn, Corbridge
• All fishing on the Bywell beats
• Riverside lunch in the Bywell fishing lodge
• All instruction and a ghillie service
• Free casting lesson prior to trip
• Sportfish Reading will also offer 10% off any purchase made prior to the course (cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer)
Price does not include: Gratuities, evening drinks, travel costs or EA rod licence.
Call 0118 930 3860 for further details or click HERE to make an online reservation.
Articles by the same author
- Early Morning Jungle Poon
- Survey - Wild Fishing in Scotland
- Good News for Some Scottish Salmon
- Astove - The Video!
- ASF Honours Michael Meighen with Top Salmon Conservation Award
- Get to Grips with the Gaula!
- Catch a River Tweed Salmon with Farlows this Summer
- Catch and Release in Canada
- Alphonse Island News – Flat Calm, Flats Slam and a 9lb Bonefish!
- Fly Odyssey Day at Farlows