Excellent First Half Returns from the Ponoi
An update from the Ryabaga Camp on the Ponoi from owner, Ilya Sherbovich, now that the first half of 2014 season is over.
All in all it was an excellent result from the river with 6703 salmon caught during the first seven weeks of the season – this beat the return from 2013, which was in itself a very good year.
All of this was somewhat unexpected after what appeared to be a mediocre fall run last year but clearly they simply arrived late. A nice water level and cool air temperatures were also good for mid-summer fishing this year and I fished near camp on 13 July and stopped after the 3rd salmon during the first 30 minutes!
The river opens again shortly and we usually catch the first fall-run salmon by the end of the first week of August; it will be very interesting to see what happens this year but with the strong summer run we are hoping for a good autumn run.
Articles by the same author
- Online Sea Lice Petition Launched
- Record Chalkstream Salmon Returns
- Vigfusson Calls for Three-Year Netting Ban
- The Atlantic Salmon Trust Auction 2016
- A Tropical Fly Fishing Adventure...
- Farlows Winter Sale – on NOW
- A Fish&Fly Merry Christmas
- Merry Christmas from ASR
- Restoring River Dart Salmon
- The End of an Irish Salmon Fishing Era