As July merges into August, high summer into late-summer, a pattern has become established on Norway's sportfishing rivers. When a 2012 salmon is hooked it tends to be an older, bigger, river fish. Now, with the season ending two weeks tomorrow, from the Lakselva to the Orkla, the question is repeated: what has happened to Norway's summer run of medium sized salmon and grilse? And the newer, big fish, for that matter? ... Full story
It is one of the most famous names in Scottish West Coast salmon and sea-trout fishing. But the Isle of Harris' Amhuinnsuidhe fishery, with its superlative wild fly-fishing on Lochs Voshmid, Scourst and Ulladale is not just about fishing, as Greig Thomson of Salmo International describes.. ... Full story
A new venture for fly-fishers whose dream is to sample the Arctic char fishing in Greenland is taking shape under the aegis of Arni Baldursson. Arni runs his Lax-a fishing all over the world but this camp looks the business and one assumes very good connections in Greenland to enable such comfort to go up in the wilderness in such short order. ... Full story
A fisherman catches a huge salmon, but there is no witness and no photograph and only a rough measurement taken of the fish's length against a rod. Coverage of the capture of 'the Balmoral 50-pounder' caught this June has since appeared in magazines from the Field to Trout and Salmon and the capture has been well documented and discussed on our own Fly Forums. But how does such a catch go down in the history books? And what was the final verdict of a man who lives and breathes the River Dee, Ken Reid, Fisheries Development Officer of The Dee District Salmon Fisheries Board? ... Full story
You don’t need to fish for Salmon to appreciate this book, or even be an avid tyer of Salmon flies. The author traces the history of classic salmon flies going back over more than a century to the heyday of late Victorian era when exotic materials from around the globe where readily available. ... Full story
I have just returned from attending what was billed as the Ultimate Atlantic Salmon-fishing Course on Russia's Varzuga river. Apart from giving me the chance to catch numbers of salmon in a day that in Scotland one would hope for in a week (or month), the course gave me the perfect chance to test out for Fish and Fly, Patagonia's new Rock Grip (aluminium bar) wading boots and also their new wading Crampons too. ... Full story
Charlie White, director of fishing at Roxtons Fieldsports, talks to Fish and Fly about the 2012 prospects for Iceland, while giving a fascinating insight into the wider role and responsibilities of one of the UK's top destination sporting agencies. But first, with the Russian season already under way on the Varzuga and the other Kola rivers and Norway set to open on June 1st, we asked him about another great destination salmon country, Iceland: ... Full story
Any new book on flats fishing is always bound to catch this editor's eye and it's even more interesting when the author is actually based in the UK for a change rather than in some tropical location. Graham Stephens recounts his personal journey of discovering the bonefish and how to fly fish for them via his travel adventures overseas. ... Full story
March warm-ups are excellent times to trout fly fish in Europe and in France it is the great trout opening time! For some anglers including myself, this particular day of fishing brings back some nostalgic memories. Nevertheless, you must be well prepared so that your chances of success at catching good trout turns to reality… ... Full story
- Alphonse Island News – End of the Season
- Early Morning Jungle Poon
- Alphonse Island News - Late Milkfish!
- Astove - The Video!
- Astove Atoll News - End of the Season
- Astove Atoll News – Beginner's Luck!
- Alphonse Island News – Bones, Big GT’s and a Flats Grand Slam
- Alphonse Island News – Another Bonefish Bonanza!
- Alphonse Island News – Perfect Conditions!
- Alphonse Island News – More Milkfish Mania!
- The Muddler Minnow and Lessons Learned in Fly Fishing
- Fly Tying Materials - Predator Fibres from Semperfli
- Kidnapping The Reverend Mother - Fly Fishing Drama
- The Bigger They Are, The Ardea They Fall!
- James Chetham Black Gnat
- The Sweet William Fly and Norman Greenwood
- How to tie a Gold Bead Damsel Nymph
- Reel Britannia...
- Ultimate Fishing Adventures by Henry Gilbey
- Tied in the Hand (Odyssey of a salmon fly-tyer) by Sven-Olov Hard
- A Bonefishing Journey by Graham Stephens
- DVD Review: A Backyard in Nowhere
- Flextec Nomad Traveller Fly Rod 7 Piece
- Book Review: The Floating Fly by Dr Malcolm Greenhalgh
- Product Focus : Patagonia Men's Guidewater Pants