A Passion for Tarpon raises $18k for Bonefish & Tarpon Trust
Andy Mill and publisher Tom Pero of Wild River Press presented Bonefish & Tarpon Trust with a check for $18,000 from the sale of Mill’s award-winning book “A Passion for Tarpon" recently.
The presentation was made Friday afternoon at the fourth International Bonefish & Tarpon Symposium at the IGFA Fishing Hall of Fame & Museum in Dania Beach. The symposium concluded with research presentations by fisheries biologists, casting clinics and a tarpon panel discussion.
Mill also conducted an informative and enlightening seminar on how he fly fishes for tarpon. Among his tips: You never cast to the fish, you intercept the fish by casting the fly to a spot where the tarpon is heading. Mill recommended casting a little farther than needed in case the fish changes its path to the outside of where it was headed. If the fish stays on the track or heads inside, you can slide the fly in front of the tarpon by sweeping the fly rod.
An acclaimed fly fisherman who has won numerous tarpon tournaments in the Florida Keys, Mill said that once you get the hang of feeding a tarpon and making it eat a fly, “it is addictive.”
Articles by the same author
- Angling Rights Sacrified 'for the greater good' on Prime UK Salmon Beat
- Kiss the Water - You've seen the Film, Now WIN the DVD!
- Bad News for Wild Stocks as a Scottish Fish Farm loses 155,000 Salmon
- Charity Salmon Days
- Tributaries Fly Fishing Film on Release
- Chris Sandford Joins Game Fisher’s Diary
- Atlantic Salmon Trust Auction 2014
- Salmond Fishing on the Tay
- Kiss the Water
- Mahseer Trust Competition - Win a Fishing Trip to India